Monday, February 23, 2009

It's Hard to Remember

I'm doing a presentation about Black History Month in Sunshine's class this week. Part of my presentation is a PowerPoint of influential and easily recognized African-Americans throughout time, with Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World" in the background. It's cute. So I've been online collecting images to use and it's brought a lot of things to the front of my mind. Some really sad things, but some really hopeful things.



I came across this photo of Dr. King and Jesse Jackson taken the day before Dr. King was killed, and it made me think more about Jesse Jackson than Dr. King. I say this with love, but I think Jesse Jackson annoys a lot of people. He's so loud, brings up issues that are sometimes easier for the rest of us to ignore, and it can seem like he's always up for a fight. Because I wasn't alive during the Civil Rights Movement, I forget that he was there. I think of Carmichael, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks and people like that when I think of that era, not Jesse Jackson. But he was there. And I'm sure that he doesnt ever forget that.

Once upon a time, Jesse Jackson was a part of something that has allowed me to have the lovely life I enjoy and he's still trying to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy that lovely life. I think I'll have a bit more patience with him the next time he says something slightly insufferable or kinda embarrases me. I'll try not to roll my eyes when I think he's being a little theatrical because I think I owe him more than I usually think about. My mom always says, "The world needs people like Jesse Jackson to remind us that the fight is never over and to bring about change." Someone needs to be loud. Someone needs to bring up things that are painful to think about. Someone needs to be up for the fight. I'm glad that someone is doing that for the rest of us. My mom's so smart. She gets it from me.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your presentation...sounds wonderful! I really don't know how you do all you do...seriously...hearing everything you do makes me tired!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.