Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Best Laid Plans



I'm not sure when it started, but sometime in between when I was in elementary school and when I started teaching it, the 100th day of school became a really big deal. A really, really big deal. There are parties, snacks, crowns, special clothing, books and more all dedicated to this day. Sunshine's school celebrated it today and she had to bring in a box of Fruit Loops for their snack mix. They were going to count out 100 of each item the kids brought in and then add it all together to make a special trail mix type thing. She also had to wear something with 100 of something on it. Her teacher suggested a hat. Sunshine wasn't into that idea. So instead we used a shirt and fabric glued colored gems on it.

***This is ANOTHER one of those times that a bedazzler would have come in handy. (Store that in your brain for my Christmas present, Don). I never knew it was possible to use gems as often as I do. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with them, but I buy more sequins and gems than any other craft item. It's crazy.***

Anyways, Sunshine counted out 10 sets of 10 gems and she glued them onto her shirt so that it spelled out "100." I thought it was brilliant. She did it all on her own and she was so proud of it. She'd wear it all day, unlike a hat that I knew she would take off. It was cheap because we used an old shirt. And it was fast. Oh! And we did it early, and not on the day OF the event. I thought I deserved massive kudos for that.

Then she went to put it on this morning and they started popping off. Apparently the fabric glue that promised to hold them on was manufactured by the same people who promised that their latches would childproof my cabinets. Sunshine was sad. I was ticked. But we had woken up early enough to glue the emigrating beads back on and better secure the ones that were still on. A lot of glue and a hairdryer seemed to solve the problem...momentarily. I told Sunshine that it probably wasn't going to last. I told her that a lot of them were probably going to pop off. I asked her if she just wanted to wear something else. She said, "No, Mommy! I worked hard on this and I'm going to try my hardest to make sure they stay on! But if some pop off, it's okay. I know that there were 100. That's all that's important."

I was so proud of her. She must get that from Don because I'm all about the four alarm fire.

3 comments:

  1. Genius! What a great idea! Yeah, I remember that 100 day of school thing. We didn't really do it in 4th grade, but for the early grades it was almost like a holiday:) You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who questions the usefulness of a dedazzler?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, some of the older grades dressed like 100 year olds. I couldnt figure out why some many of them had on bathrobes with white hair, then Sunshine explained it to me.

    You're right, Rebekah. I need one!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.