Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cultural Affinity Groups

affinity [uh-fin-i-tee]
–noun
1. a natural liking for or attraction to a person, thing, idea, etc.
2. a person, thing, idea, etc., for which such a natural liking or attraction is felt.


As I mentioned before, I taught Sunshine's class about African-American History Month this week. We've never talked to Sunshine about our ethnicities, so this was the first time that she had learned that term. I wasn't quite sure how to brooch the conversation, but started with showing her a photo of my dad.
I said, "You know, Papa is African-American."
Sunshine: "Oh great! That's so fun! Is Gramma, too?"
Me: "No, just Papa."
Sunshine: "Oh, that's too bad."
Me: "Ya, well Gramma is other things, like German-American."
Sunshine: "Oh, that's good!"
Me: "Ya, so these other people are African-American, too." And I showed her some of the photos I had prepared for the slideshow, hoping that she might get it on her own. She didnt. "So, because Papa is my dad, I get to be African-American. And because you belong to me, you get to be African-American, too!"
Sunshine: "Wow, that's great! But still, not Gramma?"
Me: "No, still not Gramma. But she still gets to be other things."
Sunshine: "Oh, okay." Poor Gramma has cancer AND she doesnt get to be African-American. Life is HARD.

So she came home from school the next afternoon and told The Little Master that I had gone to her class to talk about being African-American.
She said, "I'm African-American, Buddy. And so is Papa. Mother, does Buddy get to be African-American, too?"
Me: "Yes, he belongs to me too, so he's African-American."
Sunshine: "Oh, goody! You're African-American too, Buddy!!"
The Little Master: "No. Me no African-American. Me California-American. My grandfather told me."

And so it is, I suppose. You can take the boy from the beach, but you can't take the beach from the boy.

4 comments:

  1. tell buddy that papa is black, he'll get on bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried that. He ignored us and kept building his Lego tower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo for going to teach LMS's class. Seriously, how do you find the time??? She won't soon forget that. And being human is so confusing. Bravo for LMS to finally get the concept...and I love the California-American comment. I think they most certainly are a different breed ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don is so nice about taking a personal day once a month so that I can do those things. Otherwise, I would NEVER get to do it. It's really nice of him.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.