
Sunshine is a Girl Scout. Cookies, anyone? Sorry, I digress. Anyways, I'm helping the girls earn their "Adopt a Nursing Home" patch. We have to prepare activities and visit Alzheimer patients at a local senior center four times in a year. We prepare songs to sing and pass out little crafts or goodies when we go. It's like a meeting of the minds - five year olds and Alzheimer patients. They really get along well. And we're not just going four times a year. We're going every other month. I know, I know. I'm such an amazing leader. But dont tell me. I want my reward in heaven. =)
We were supposed to have a GS meeting this week and make Valentines to pass out to the seniors after we sing next month. The director said that we're the only group that comes and actually makes physical contact with the patients. Most groups just sing and then run out the door. But our girls sing, pass something out and shake hands. It's really cute. The director said that the residents always go up to the photos of our girls on the bulletin board and talk about them. She said it's because of the physical contact we make. Isnt that great? Really, I think it's great that the girls will learn from a young age that service doesnt always mean giving something material, but that it can mean giving our yourself. Sometimes that's the thing most lacking in someone's life.
But we couldnt meet because we had a snow day. I asked the parents to make homemade Valentines with their daughters at home, so that meant I had to do it with Sunshine. Here's the deal: Sunshine love, love, loves crafts. If she has a choice to do something, she'll do a craft. She loves to cut up paper, glue paper, put stickers on paper, use little bitty pieces of tape to affix paper to more paper. She comes home from school with the most interesting contraptions that she's made from some paper scraps, glue, tape, and a lot of love. Think Fancy Nancy. She's just really, really into "creating." It's not always all that attractive to a critical eye, but it's heavenly to a five year old.
So when I told her that we HAD to do a craft, she was overjoyed. Out came the construction paper, glitter glue, markers, and stickers. She spent two and a half hours making 18 Valentines and had the best time. Each piece of tape had a purpose. Each glob of glitter was put there for a special effect. Each message, though spelled incorrectly, was sincere. Each mis-shapen heart was cut with love.
She loves her Valentines and proudly showed them to her dad when he came home. Do you remember being young enough to think that everything you did was special and lovely and perfect? I remember thinking that until I was around 6 or 7. My parents were good at making me feel that way. I went into elementary school thinking I was gorgeous and sweet and smart. I can see that self-assurance in Sunshine's eyes when she presents her masterpieces and it makes me so happy. Her teacher is so good at buildling up her spirit. I hope she keeps it forever. I lost it so young because I was so concerned with what people thought of me. But I see it in enough adults to know that it's possible to keep it. I wish that for Sunshine. I wish for her that she'll always see her divine nature and individual worth.
I know that the ladies at the senior center are going to giggle with glee when they see her creations. A meeting of the minds, I tell you.
The freedom to create. She is so lucky to have a teacher who allows that expression. And believe me she will remember it.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could see the patients when they get their Valentines. Make sure to send one to our own great gramma.
i wrapped up a book of mormon once and gave it to dad. i thought for sure he'd convert. didn't work. not cute enough, i guess.
ReplyDeleteGuess not. lol
ReplyDelete