
Faye and Sunshine, circa 2003
Today is my sister Rebekah's birthday!
Faye is absolutely my favorite baby sister. Everything about her is like magic, to me. She was born when I was in Kindergarten and didnt come from the hospital right away. When I came home from school one day, she was there in my mom's dark room sleeping peacefully in a crib. I thought that was amazing. When we were old enough to earn allowance, my other sister and I would buy her cute little outfits from Target. We thought she was so perfect. When she was young, she was the exact opposite of me in the looks department. She had natural blond streaks in her hair, freckles, and blue-grey eyes. I thought I was so lucky to have such a beautiful sister. When she was in 1st or 2nd Grade, our private school wanted her to skip a grade because she was so advanced. I was so proud. When she was a little older, she painted a gorgeous still life watercolor. It was so good that my artistic aunti, who is always in the know, had it framed and it's still hanging in her living room.
I do remember once not letting her play with us and calling her the "CaCa Monster" until she cried. Sorry about that, Faye. It was mean and completely UN-funny...to you and Mom. =)
When she was old enough to wear makeup, she skipped that tacky and gauche phase that the rest of us go through experimenting with makeup, and immediately looked like a Vogue cover. When she got older and started adding accessories, she turned into one of those people who just always know what to put with an outfit to make it look just so. Who knew those colors went together so well? Faye! She wanted to learn Italian one summer, so she checked some language CDs out of the library, took them to the beach, and learned Italian. For real. When she went to BYU, she took exotic classes like stained glass and basket weaving. She does adventurous things with her hair and still looks amazing. If I did the things she does, I would look like a crazy homeless person. Remember the Rachel hair cut? She got it! Afro hair and all! That's bravery, folks. Years before it was cool, she started a blog and wrote entries so beautiful that I would cry. Or so funny, that I would end up rolling on the floor.
And now, she's off in DC living this idealic life as a single in the city. She went to President Obama's inauguration last month and was a part of history. How cool is that? She visits national treasures in her free time and is writing her fourth or fifth blog (www.fayeforsure.blogspot.com). I want to be her.
So, Happy Birthday, Miss Rebekah! We love you and wish you all of the best. Thanks for being such a marvelous person and inspiration. You always have all of the answers!!!!
that was the best night of my life! i loved pretending little sophie was my baby!
ReplyDeletethank you for my tribute! love you!
hey, speaking of style, remember when bo bought me the rat fur purse? ha ha! that was the best, man.
Oh dear me, yes. That was odd. It was a joke, right?
ReplyDeleteRemember when you bought Don that dancing guinea pig as a joke and we loved it. Hours of entertainment!
I have this same picture on my wall next to me. I love Bekah's hair and can you ever forget sunshine's little face? Oh I think I am getting too old, I cry at everything.
ReplyDeleteI can't remember if I ever met your sister, but she sounds amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteCrying through the whole reading because it is all soooo true! She is my inspiration, ditto! Each of you girls offer something special to my life that is unforgettable. Sarah, I wish I could articulate as well as you, but know this, I love each of you as mine!!!!
ReplyDelete