
My elementary school didnt have a cafeteria, so hot lunches always seemed so romantic to me. You know, like on Wonder Years where everyone sat around chatting, eating, living the American dream. I wanted it bad. That Winnie Cooper had it all. Then I taught at an elementary school where everyone ate school lunch because it was free, and it doesnt seem romantic anymore. School lunches are nothing but a load of junk. Winnie Cooper would have never eaten this food. Well, maybe she did and that's why Winnie went through that chubby stage. Hmm.
So I pack Sunshine's lunch each day. First of all, I dont want her eating the school lunch. Secondly, that meal costs $2. Are you kidding me? For junk? No way. But I found out as the school year went on that there are only three kids in her class who do NOT buy lunch each day. They get ice cream and chocolate milk, and Sunshine gets string cheese and fresh fruit. Not fun. So today, I woke up at 3 and couldnt get back to sleep. You would think that all of that extra time would have given more time to get her lunch ready. Instead at 630 when I was throwing cold cereal at the kiddos, I said, "Sunshine. How would you like to buy lunch today?" She jumped out of her chair shouting, "YES, YES, YES!" I was so happy for her.
When Sunshine came home from school on Friday, she mentioned (under her breathe as she was running up the stairs) that she had visited the school nurse that day.
"What? Stop! Come explain to me what you just said," I exclaimed.
She said, "I thought I was going to throw up, so I went to the nurse."
"Did this happen after lunch?" I asked, guessing that it had something to do with eating at the cafeteria.
"Uh, yes," she replied.
"What did you eat for lunch today, Sunshine?," knowing full well therein lay the issue.
"That's what the nurse asked me, Mommy! And when I told her, she said 'Hmm.'"
Oh dear me.
I cringed as I asked again, "So what was it that you ate?"
Happily, she recounted, "I had pink milk, pizza, a rice crispie treat, and ice cream."
So, really it's a miracle that she didnt puke.
man, i loved hot lunch. the pizza, the turkey with the greenish gravy...mmmm...
ReplyDeleteSchool lunch....those were the days. We got real food and it was really hot and dished up by the cafeteria workers. We could get seconds if there were leftovers. Our favorite was a deep dish pizza pie. I remember the lunch duty teacher would come around and shake our milk cartons to see if we drank all of our milk. One poor soul had crammed his unwanted veggies in the carton. I don't know what became of him.
ReplyDeleteSunshine may be a little wary of the school lunch for awhile. Unless of course she is in love with the school nurse.
Did you notice how all the food is the same color? Scary.
She IS in love with the nurse. I asked her, "Is that woman nice to you?" and she said, "Oh yes, Mommy. I LOVE going to the nurse."
ReplyDeletemom, seriously, you kill me. i don't know why, but i'm laughing out loud about your 'deep dish pizza pie'. i have never heard you call pizza that in my entire life.
ReplyDelete