Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Grampa the Science Kid



I dont want to give too many details into Don's father's career, for security purposes, but he's a biologist and his work involves snakes. Lots of them. When I got engaged to Don, I had him tell my sister that his dad was good friends with the Crocodile Hunter because of his line of work. She was beyond stoked. When Don fessed up that it wasnt true, she was crushed. Truly crushed. She really loved Steve. I guess it wasn't funny?!? I dont think she's quite forgiven me for that lie yet. Oops.

Anyways, we visited their Snake Doctor Grampa this weekend at his labs. For some reason, we’ve never taken the kids. Or we took Sunshine when she was a baby, but that doesn’t count. It only counts if you’re old enough to be afraid, but you go anyways. This time, Sunshine REALLY wanted to go because she had checked out a rattlesnake book from the school library and it said that there were pink rattlesnakes out there. When she asked her Grampa about it, he assured her that he DID have some pink snakes and if she came to visit she could see them. So we drove eight hours to see the pink snake.

Sunshine's book also showed graphic photos of rattlesnakes eating mice, birds and eggs in "one big bite!" and Sunshine wanted to see that in action. Though that dream was not realized, they got to see lots of other fun stuff. The kids went to Grampa's labs and tried on his fancy doctor lab coats, met all of his snakes, made friends with the mice and their little babies, and generally had a blast. Their Grampa gave them lots of cool gifts, like leftover Halloween candy, lab googles, purple latex gloves and snazzy pamphlets. The snakes were mostly on good behavior. They only struck the glass partitions when Polly Pocket went up to see them. Each time her chubby little fist went towards them, out came the fangs and they would strike at her. Poor Pocket. Thank goodness for strong glass, eh? When we left Sunshine said, "This is the best day EVER. I was never expecting so many presents!" The Little Master put on his googles and said, "I'm like Sid the Science Kid now!" For sure, little guy. Now go make some big bucks like your Grampa. Or get a syndicated show like Sid. Either way, Mamma needs a new pair of shoes.

Photos include…Pocket being attacked by a pink snake, the kids holding snake catcher thingies, The Little Master in his Grampa’s lab coat, and standing outside of the lab with their Grampa.



2 comments:

  1. They look like they are having a great time. I can see Pocket's face in the glass. Perceptive snakes, strike before she strikes. I don't know what's scarier, the snakes or that weapon in TLM's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't get over how cute TLM is! i would give him anything he wanted!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.