Monday, January 26, 2009

No Self-Confidence Issues Here, Thanks

Two weeks ago, Sunshine was asked to give a two minute talk in Primary this Sunday. She was over the moon with excitement because Sunshine ALWAYS has a lot to say and she love, love, loves sitting up in the front of the Jr Chapel in the special seat marked "Talk." She's so my child.

The topic that Sunshine was asked to speak on was, "I Am a Spirit Child of Heavenly Father." Sunshine had a few requests as we sat down to map out her plan for the talk; she wanted to hold up some pictures and she wanted to sing. Because I think she's perfect, I thought this was a lovely idea. We wrote the talk, chose photos to print out, drew pictures to hold, and practiced her song. We were set. So yesterday morning, we practiced a bit more just before Sharing Time and I knew she would nail it. She trotted right on up to her special seat and waited patiently for the focus to be on her.

You know that kid in class who always raises their hand to answer a question or volunteer to help? That kid is Sunshine. Okay, that kid is also The Little Master. What can I say? My kids like the spotlight. But I really think that they dont know that each and every lesson/request/comment isnt directed towards them. I say that because after Sunshine went up to sit in her seat, it turned out that the child who was supposed to recite this month's scripture was absent and they asked for a volunteer. Yes, you guessed it. My three year old's hand shot right up. Knowing that my three year old didnt read, the Primary leader said, "Oh, you're a little small to do this, don't you think?" and he replied, "No, it okay. I do it." And up he marched. She whispered the words in his ear and he said them nice and clear in Buddy talk. Like I said, no self-confidence issues here.

After TLM's impromptu performance, it was Sunshine's turn. I held up her posters as she recited her talk. Early in her talk she pointed to the audience and said, "When I was a little girl, President Hinckley was my prophet. He told me, "Never forget, my dear young friends, you really are a child a God." Each phrase was emphasized with her pointing finger.

When it got to the point where she was supposed to introduce her song, she leaned towards me and said, "I dont think I'm going to sing." I replied, "I really think your teacher wants to hear you sing. Why don't you just sing a tiny bit?" "Okay," she grimaced. Looking straight in my eyes the entire time, my little Sunshine sang a complete verse of "I am a Child of God."

At the conclusion of her talk, she pointed to her little audience again and said, "I am a child of God. You are a child of God. Never forget, my dear young friends." That part was Sunshine adlibbing. Apparently, she was moved to include it.

Gotta love that Sunshine. She makes me happy when skies are grey.

3 comments:

  1. President Hinkley would be so proud. And the finger pointing...don't remember how he emphasized everything he said with his hands?

    And TLM...what can we say? I knew he would come through one day. Can you imagine holding him back from participating until he was older? That's not going to work. He knows he's ready, now they do. We are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog can be pretty depressing sometimes. i personally know that this post made mom cry. that's all i'm saying. she's got cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has cancer, too! It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.