
*a photo of Little Miss Sunshine in 2004*
I remember being a child and adults would say, "You think you like summer now? Just wait until you're an adult." I started to understand that more when I taught elementary school and summers meant not having to wake up early and get to work every day. That's when I also learned that teachers love recess even more than the littles do. And now, I finally understand why parents like summer and winter breaks so much.
I hate making my kids wake up in the morning. They're usually all awake by 6:30, but sometimes they'll sleep a bit later. I hate waking a sleeping child. Isnt it against every parenting rule EVER to wake a sleeping child?!? Why wake 'em up? A sleeping child is a perfect child. And my job REALLY starts when they're awake. It's nice to delay that.
Also, school pick-up interferes with our afternoon. Are any kids pleasant in the afternoon? Mine sure arent. It's the grumpiest time of the day for all of us. So I have to wake Pocket and TLM up from their naps to go pick up Sunshine. Oh, if you only knew, really knew how much I dont like that. More waking up children! School is all about waking up children when they should be sleeping and mommies could be relaxing!
But mostly, the real reason that I like school breaks is that I really dont like giving Sunshine back to those people. I love and adore her teacher. She's an answer to many earnest prayers. She's an angel on Earth. I'm not exagerrating. But she's not me. Can she really love Sunshine in the manner that she deserves? It's just not possible. And really, who are these PE and Music teachers? And then the office staff? Do they know that Sunshine is practically perfect in every way? Do they know that she doesnt like strife and will take the fall for someone just to end an argument? Do they know that she needs to rub your leg sometimes when she's feeling anxious? Do they know that she'll never ask for it directly, but she really, really needs approval and love? I don't think they do. But I give her to them every day for 7 long hours and have to trust that she'll be okay. I don't like it, though. Every day, I feel a little tense until we pick her up at 3pm.
And that's why I like winter break. I get my Sunshine back full-time. Here where she belongs.
Remember those long lazy summers. It seemed like they would go on forever. It was glorious while it lasted.
ReplyDeleteBy the looks of the pictures, we can count on the little ones closing their mouths about age 5?
ReplyDeletethat picture makes me sad. i miss baby lorraine.
ReplyDeleteThey do open their mouths for photos! It's either that or this wierd constipated smirk.
ReplyDeleteBaby Lorraine was so perfect. She's still a baby sometimes. I love it.
ReplyDelete