Monday, August 3, 2009

a weekend away

We spent the weekend in Houston to celebrate the arrival of our new niece, Elle. Isn't that a lovely name? And she's a lovely smooshy baby who likes to be held. It was so fun for me, an uncloseted baby thief.

We stayed at the best hotel while in town, the Woodlands Resort.


Some of the highlights were:
three water slides
s'mores at night by the pool's fire pit
a "dive-in" movie projected poolside
an underwater scavenger hunt at one pool
underwater "mermaid music" playing at each pool
waterfalls and islands with buried treasure at one pool
the balloon artist who made magical things, like Ariel and a pirate hat
a clown who painted their backs with waterproof makeup
cabanas and comfy lounge chairs
mist machines
splash pads
a giant 6 inch deep pool
a friendly and helpful concierge service
attentive poolside wait staff

And we got it all for $99 a night. If you're ever in the Houston area, give it a shot. We were more than pleased. It brought back lovely memories of growing up, when I didn't know how lucky I was to spend each summer in Hawaii. Thanks, Mom and Dad for all of those great summers! And thanks, Don for working hard so that our kids have these great experiences, too!

Funny story:
So my parents took us to these types of resorts growing up. We kind of grew up spoiled with amazing vacations. One year while checking out, my dad was given a lengthy bar tab. Confused by how he could have such a large bill since he had not ordered that much AT ALL, he spoke with the bartender. The friendly bartender explained that my baby sister had been ordering drinks all day, every day, and charging them to the room. Faye couldn't have been older than 8. So it was hilarious and I was so mad that I hadn't thought of it! Weren't you jealous, Bo? And Dad was so proud.

Rebekah will be proud to know that The Little Master went up to one of the waiters and ordered a lemonade without asking me. I thought he was just making polite converstaion until the waiter came up to ask me if it was okay for him to place the order. He's soooooooooo your child, Rebekah. Soooooooooooooo YOUR child. Please come get him.

I forgot to take my camera, so these stock photos from their website will have to do.




6 comments:

  1. Let's make it clear to EVERYONE,Rebekah was ordering Shirley Temples! And you forgot the golf cart story.You would have all been in on that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, we just told you that she was ordering non-alcholic drinks. We didnt want you to be worried.
    And I was NOT in on stealing that golf cart and "trying it out." That was all Faye. I was the one who spearheaded stealing nylons and fancy soaps from the maid carts.
    Keep your crimes straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, it must have been Elizabeth who led you all into the Karaoke bar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to the bar lounges in Vegas to mock the dancers/singers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a funny story about your sister!! haha...
    The resort looks amazing!...and for only $99 a night...are you kidding me!!! My aunt and uncle and their kids live in The Woodlands near Houston...I'll have to tell them about that place!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Woodlands, Julie! I would totally live there! It is crazy humid though. But it's so pretty and quiet. The trees are great sound buffers.
    You'll have to tell them about it. I think the $99 promotion lasts until Dec 31st and if they pay $10 more they get the 5 star restaurant breakfast included!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.