Monday, October 12, 2009

upcycling for Halloween


Don worked on Saturday for a few hours, which called for another crazy craft with three children. Since they have already mastered Modge Podge, we moved on to painting...with acrylics. When my sister was here, she used all of our old cereal boxes as chipboard for scrapbooking and I realized what a great idea that was. So I've been saving our old food boxes for a chipboard project.

We took apart the boxes and painted each side licorice black. Sunshine loved that name, even though she doesn't know what licorice is.




Then the kids used cookie cutters to trace Halloween shapes and cut them out.


Sunshine made the cats


The Little Master attempted to cut out bats


and Little Mama cut up paper while I made the witches.


When Don came home, we punched holes in them and Don strung them on fishing line.


When it was all assembled, I hung them in our dining room to spruce things up. Now we're able to eat in a festive environment. Phwew.


That's probably just repurposing and not upcycling, but upcycling is more fun to say =) All of the new "green" verbage makes me giggle.

When we were all done and cleaning up, I noticed that Sunshine was still at the table, working feverishly. Lined up in front of her were tiny little scraps of the chipboard. Apparently, she was making tiny fish. That's so Sunshine. I organized a craft, a craft with a definite purpose and clear goal. She did my craft and was happy about it, but then did it her way at the end - cutting little pieces of paper and arranging them in a odd design. She just doesn't fit in a box, that one. I love her madly.

1 comment:

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.