Did you know we did this? I didn't.
The shame I feel is so intense that I couldn't sleep last night. I tossed and turned all night, not able to find a way to make it right in my mind.
Here's one article I found:
Adams's story of Indian people's boarding school experiences is largely one of cultural struggle. He argues that through the boarding schools, reformers, educators, and federal agents waged cultural, psychological, and intellectual warfare on Native students as part of a concerted effort to turn Indians into "Americans." School administrators and teachers cut children's hair; changed their dress, their diets, and their names; introduced them to unfamiliar conceptions of space and time; and subjected them to militaristic regimentation and discipline. Educators suppressed tribal languages and cultural practices and sought to replace them with English, Christianity, athletic activities, and a ritual calendar intended to further patriotic citizenship. They instructed students in the industrial and domestic skills appropriate to European American gender roles and taught them manual labor. For many Indian children, this cultural assault led to confusion and alienation, homesickness and resentment.
They honest to goodness changed the children's names. It's just not right.
And one more gem...
Two of our girls ran away...but they got caught. They tied their legs up, tied their hands behind their backs, put them in the middle of the hallway so that if they fell, fell asleep or something, the matron would hear them and she'd get out there and whip them and make them stand up again. (Helma Ward, Makah, interview with Carolyn Marr)
This is what happens when you watch PBS. You start thinking about things.
this is the norm in so many places with colonial pasts. you should watch rabbit proof fence. it's the same deal, only in australia with aboriginese.
ReplyDeleteHoly crapper!
ReplyDeleteI hate it being a part of my history. It's so shameful.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to read about that, Rebekah.
I just can't read this. It is just too tragic.
ReplyDelete