When it's just Pocket and I in the car, I turn off the kiddie tunes and get my "Fresh Air" fix.
While the kidlets are in their rooms playing, I turn off the iPod, turn on 90.1 FM, do the laundry and get my fix.
During naptime, I prep for dinner, tune into "All Things Considered" on the computer and get my fix.
I love it, so.
Did you know that there are over 20 musicians who all died at the age of 27 and someone just wrote a book about it.
Did you know that over half of the prisoners behind bars are parents? Have you ever thought about how children cope when their parents are incarcerated?
I'm a junkie.
This month, I learned something that made my heart soar. Diane Rehm Show featured former US Poet Laureate Rita Dove and they discussed Ms. Dove's latest collection of poetry, Sonata Mulattica. It tells the true story of George Bridgetower, a forgotten biracial violinist who inspired Beethoven, and it's a poem. No joke. She wrote a whole book. a biography no less, in a lyrical style, and it's good. There are so many talents that I wish I had! Each passage is narrated by a different spectator of Bridgetower's life - Beethoven, the British Ambassador, random spectators, mad King George, etc. So it's constantly changing, evolving, keeping you engaged.
If you want to feel smarter or just proud that we have such talented people in our country, listen to the show's transcripts here. You'll be carried away by Ms. Dove's voice as she recites some passages from her new book. It's beyond lovely.
Bravo for being a smart mom! My kids have gotten used to AM stations when we're in the car. It's MY time. They get their time at home. Mine is in the car. Geez, now I see why we are constantly out and about. Perhaps there's a correlation!
ReplyDeleteAnd maybe that's why I like doing my laundry!
ReplyDelete