Sunshine had quite the exciting month. The day after her Tony award winning performance as the Aimless Sheep was Field Day. Her class wore matching shirts, they got to play games from 9 to 2, and the good people from the PTA passed out juice and fresh fruit snacks. Good times were had by all. Don took the day off work and was there the whole day volunteering, so Sunshine loved that.

On a side note - kinda an observation, kinda a rebuke. The PE coach had sent out an email asking for volunteers and telling people that they were welcome to come cheer on their kids. It was the same thing at the Fun Run in the fall. And as in the fall, we were the ONLY people who showed up with signs to root on our kid. At least in the fall, people showed up to cheer. This time, there were NO parents there just to cheer on their kids. And half of the volunteers didnt even show up. I wasn't sure if it was because they didnt want to get shanghai-ed into running a game or if they're just loser housewives. Just saying. I mean really, what are you doing all day? If you dont have a job, why couldnt you show up to your kids' Field Day? It's just wierd to me. I swear that I live in a suburb, but I dont know very many people who fit into that whole "suburban mom" mold. I dont know. Field Day was big where I come from, really big. And when I was teaching in the GHETTO we had tons of parents show up to cheer on their kids. What's the point of living in a suburb? I just don't get it.
Ee gads, I'm so judgemental!!!!!!! It's just disheartening. I get tired of people around here talking about "protecting family values" and "putting family first" and all of their little stick people decals on their cars, but no one wants to help out or even show up to support their kids. I don't understand why there was more parent support in the lower income neighborhoods that I taught in than there is in this really nice, middle class neighborhood that I live in. It makes me sad.
That IS sad! Seriously...why don't these people want to be involved???? Bravo for being there!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like so much fun. I love seeing pictures of her with her friends. I don't understand the parents that don't show up. When I taught, we had tons of parents, working/and at home who came to everything. The kids loved it!
ReplyDeleteYa. I don't get it. Maybe because it's a new school people are still finding their footing? Or they don't know what's expected of them yet, so they don't do as much? It's just bizarre to me.
ReplyDeleteDid you notice the photo of Sunshine with The-bastian? She LOVES him.
ReplyDeleteI'm just wondering if this is the Sarah that attended the HUB like a million years ago? Is this the same Sarah that sat in the lawn chairs with me on the beach in Galveston singing "Lady Marmalade"? Is this the same Sarah that married Miss Danae's brother? If so, I am glad I found you, and if not, you're little Sunshine looks just like the Sarah I know!
ReplyDeleteNecia!!!!!!! 'Tis I! My gosh, I still think about that nasty crawfish boil everytime someone mentions those little boogers. Eegads. That was a million years and a lifetime ago, and about fifty pounds ago! I'm coming to blog stalk you now.
ReplyDeleteBring it on! You have been added to my long list of blogs to stalk on a daily basis.
ReplyDeleteOur lives are not all that exciting, but we are happy and love our kiddles to death.
I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing what you have been up to lately. I'm so glad I found you!