Thursday, April 30, 2009

Aimless Sheep


Sunshine's school play was this month and she played the part of the "Aimless Sheep." (Should I refrain from making a rude comment about the appropriateness of that casting?)
Playing the part of the Happy Homemaker, I made her costume. And of course, used my favorite tool ever - the hot glue gun. I hot glued over 600 cotton balls all over a shirt and pair of short leggings. She wore a long sleeved black shirt and black tights under the costume to look like black sheep legs. Then she wore her hair in two pigtails to simulate sheep ears. As an essential finishing touch, we painted her nose, added some rouge and put on a little mascara. We ARE in the South you know. No self-respecting Southern gal goes out without a little blusher and mascara.


We were all so pumped about the whole thing. Don came home from work early and ditched his MBA classes that night. Rebekah flew in from DC that day to see it. The kids and I actually got dressed and ready to go on time. Big deal. So all jazzed about the big night, the six of us showed up with a video camera, a DSLR, and a camera/videocamera combo...and we used each one. It was a tad overboard. But that's who we are. Can't help it. I had to restrain myself from bringing a bouquet to give her at the end. And really, I was shocked that more people didnt go overboard. It's Kindergarten for goodness sakes! This is the time to do this stuff while they'll still let us!


The day before at our Girl Scout meeting, only three of the moms had made costumes for our kids. Sure, we were the only three whose kids had speaking parts, but ALL of the kids were on STAGE. Hello?!? The teacher had said that they could be farmers or a farm animal if they didnt have a speaking part. Uh, why be a farmer? Boring! There could have been a casting agent in the audience. Duh. One mom had had her gramma make a gorgeous Little Bo Peep costume and the other one had gone more my style. She made a wings and mini skirt out of yellow felt and hot glued feather to it. Holla!!! So we shamed the rest of the moms into making costumes as well, and my GS troop showed up appropriately dolled up. Two of them copied my clever cotton ball costume. Really, it was so easy and super cute. Sure, the custodian hates me. Sure, everyone kept walking up to us and telling us that she was shedding. Sure, the stage producer/computer teacher jokingly told me that she had left half of her costume on the stage. But it was cute!!!!!


It all went so great. Most kiddie productions kinda drag on and you can't understand what's going on. But not this one. Their music instructor had those kidlets trained like a well-oiled machine. You could understand every word that they sang, they all did the hand motions at the same time, and there was none of that boring and drug out speeches. My only criticism was that they only put the names of the children who had speaking parts in the program. I thought that ws a little sad.


Sunshine was front and center on the main stage. She walked right up to the mike for her speaking parts and said her lines perfectly clear, nice and strong, and with the hand motions I had taught her. Then she had a one line singing solo ("I'm such a miserable ewe") and she did that perfect as well. Rebekah was telling Don later that she was really impressed with how well Sunshine did, and Don sold me down the river and basically said that it was because I am a pageant mom. Rudeness. Kinda true, but rude nonetheless!


Anyways, it all went well. She had a great time on stage. She had a great time seeing her friends all dressed up. She had a great time posing for photos afterwards. We got great video to share with the producers of "Before They Were Stars" when she makes it big in Hollywood. It was a success!

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember the Jimmy the Skunk costume I made for Elizabeth? I think it was for the Mother West Wind play. Do children even read it anymore. She wore a black leotard, black tights, black ballet shoes and the requisite black and white skunk stripe. I made it from gathered white and black tulle. Most importantly of all, she carried a spray bottle of really foul smelling perfume and squirted it everywhere. Oh, the memories. That's why parents make costumes and go to programs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh. That was the best costume ever. Bo always got the great costumes. Really, she did. Faye and I got jipped. Do you remember the Arabian princess costume? Grrr. She always looked great!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.