Friday, March 19, 2010

just so you know...

I have high maintenance children. I get annoyed when people tell me, "Oh you don't know what it's like. My __ is so cranky all of the time."

Trust me, I know what it's like to raise high-maintenance children. I just don't broadcast it as often as you do, but I've had at least one since 2005. Do you remember The Dark Days of 2005? Ah, but that's another story.

Every day after quiet time/nap time is over, we go through this exercise when I ask The Little Master to clean up his room. The following routine takes around 5 minutes every day. Not too long, but just long enough.

First, the laughter that always comes when he tries to escape a chore.


Then, the anger. (Even in anger, he's so incredibly adorable though.)


(There is a pause here as he starts to hit me, so I put down the camera.)


Then, the fake crying.


Then, the real crying. (My mom is mad at me by this point for posting these photos.)


Then, the inevitable coughing fit. (My sister is calling CPS to report me right now.)


Then, the dawning that the work is almost done.



Then it ends and he shows me his project he worked on that day. This day it was hockey players.


We do this every day.

It makes me more sad than you can imagine.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone should think this is funny. I'm sure not laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little man. So hurt, so confused. His future wife will sing your praises daily. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a high maintenance child since 1996! I agree... it is so NOT funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I like to describe Jonathan as quirky. It sounds better than High Maintenance. However, I never could come up with a better name for Jess. I used to call her HM a lot. I guess I thought that no one would ever be able to figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quirky. That's a good one. Oh dear me, these are the things I didnt think about being an issue when I was 13 and dreaming of my future children.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.