Tuesday, June 30, 2009

days 10 and 11 of summer camp - pirates & map skills

For "Discovery Week" I had planned on letting the kids have ONE day about pirates. I should have known that it would get out of hand. =)

The first day, they dressed up as pirates...


drew pirate maps...



and wrote pirate stories.

Dear Pirates,
Do you want to get to the island before the treasure disappears? Yes!?!
Follow the trail where you get to the treasure, before it doesn’t like you. HA HA HA.
From, TLM


Mysterious Island
Written and Illustrated by Sunshine
Once upon a time there were some pirates. Captain Sunshine found a mysterious island. She wrote a note to her pirate crew with a map. The pirate crew followed the map to get to the treasure. First, they found silly monkeys that smash tomatoes on their heads. Then, they went to the crocodiles that were nice and let the pirates cross the swamp on their backs. Next, they found a talking bird that said, “Watch out for the sharks.” Finally, the pirates found the X and dug up the treasure - gold! Yo ho ho!
The End


On the second day, they insisted on dressing up as pirates as we walked the streets on a Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt. The neighbors loved it. Don came home from work early on Friday, so I made him go with us. He wasn't as much of a fan of their outfits as the neighbors. hee hee. At the end of their hunt, we had a pirate treasure chest filled with gold rolos, the fruit of the gods.




If you would like to do a scavenger hunt with your kids, go to www.scavengerhuntsforkids.com It is FULL of great ideas of easy things to do with your kids and their templates are super easy to adjust/personalize to your needs.

2 comments:

  1. Can I seriously just fly my kids to your house for the summer...I'll pick them up at the end of August:)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not going to stay? Boo!
    Bring them! But you have to send them in matching clothes. That would be my favorite part of having twins for the summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.