This playhouse was inspired by Eragon and I thought it was brilliant. But it didn't win any awards, which I thought was sad. The scales on the sides were sooooooo clever and inside was artwork based on the novel. I also loved how it looked against the sky, it was just really majestic. I think this book is being made into a movie.


Nearby was Peter Pan's playhouse, which I really think was just a bunch of adults who wanted to build a pirate ship. It was really well made though. I was impressed by that. We had to "walk the plank" to get inside, which made me giggle. Inside were nameplates for each main character in the book. It was cute.



Look at this! Another pirate ship! Shocking! =) Actually, this is Treasure Island and it's a treasure chest that is tipped over. That was a cute idea.

The Little Prince brought back memories of translating it from French into English while in gradeschool. This playhouse won an award for most creative, I think, and was pretty darn cool. On the floorboards, they had painted a line from the book into tons of different languages. They also had a word search on a bench and an "I Spy" game. It was clever!!!


And Dr. Seuss' One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish was supposed to represent a playhouse for fish. Clever, again!!! The kiddies like playing on the bubbles on the ocean floor.

Ok, that place looks so cool! We've never been, but with these exhibits, maybe we'll have to venture out there! So I take it it's worth the money? Is there a ton of walking? Hmmmm, maybe we'll try braving the heat??!!
ReplyDeleteWe bought the family membership and get in for the members only events, like the Easter Egg Hunt and Weekend with Santa. It's really expensive to get in there, but it's so incredibly well-kept that I think the money is well spent. I think it's totally going to be worth it because it also includes parking!
ReplyDeleteI can get in three other people besides me and my kids. So we should go! (early in the morning now that it's soooooo hot).
Plus, now that we're members, we get to go to other arboretums on our trip this summer free! And two of them have storybook themed gardens, as well. Isn't that fun?
It's hard to choose a favorite...the shaded ones were especially lovely! I agree with you, Eragon should have won an award for design, it was absolutely stunning. Thanks for explaining the words on the Little Prince structure. I think I had the Pocket at that moment and missed it.
ReplyDeleteTo anyone that asks, this is a spectacular area. There is a lot of walking, but it's like going to The National Gallery of Art, The Louvre, etc. You don't do it all in one day. That's a very good reason to buy the yearly pass. I really liked that you can picnic inside (I think the squirrels were appreciative). I did notice motorized carts taking visitors around. And don't forget the lake and the water splash area.
i thought they already made it into a movie?
ReplyDeleteI thought there was a new movie coming out, but the only one I could find was made in 2006 and it did not get good reviews. The dragon at the Arboretum was majestic.
ReplyDeleteI just saw the ad for the Eragon movie again and realized it was an ad on a dvd I have that is two years old. So I guess it IS already out.
ReplyDelete