
The most anticipated part of our vacation was our stop at the Ingalls Homestead, also known as Laura's Living Prairie. We were really excited to actually be at the place that she wrote so many of her books about. We were also really, really, really excited to sleep in a covered wagon. Like really, really excited. I don't think I've come in contact with one person in the past few months whom I haven't told that we got to sleep in a covered wagon.

When I really look forward to something, I sometimes worry that it won't meet my expectations. This experience by far surpassed them. I think that you could get and participate in many of the activites that they offer at the Homestead many other places. I don't think what they offer is all that unique - different, but also done in other places. What made it worth the stop was the historic significance of the area. What made it the best place that we've ever been were the people who own and operate the Homestead.

I had spoken with Ann, the owner, on the phone in March to reserve our wagon and ask some questions. She was so incredibly sweet, but still really business-like and savvy. I was impressed. But when we got there, everyone was amazing. I mean that - every single person from Ann's parents to her staff that we encountered went out of their way to be happy, kind, and patient. Because we were there during the annual play based on one of Laura's books, we were there during their busiest time of the year. But they were still patient and kind and happy. They took the time to talk to the kids like people about anything that interested them.

We had a great time and learned so much. They want the kids to touch and try out everything there. It was so refreshing. Plus, it was like $8 to get in, which covered our admission the whole trip. They don't make you pay more than one day. How nice is that?
They have a sod house dug out and a shanty built for you to explore and compare the pros and cons of each dwelling. They have a second period schoolhouse that has a full sized wagon you can play in with exhibits all around based on each novel Laura wrote.

They have a working barn, a cattle barn, a workshop/garage, a replica of Ma's home, a tractor exhibit, a giant lookout tower, and fields sown with oats, wheat and corn.

They have a schoolhouse that Laura actually taught at that they moved to the property. Buddy was sooooooo cute there, trying to follow all of the rules and listen to the teacher.




They have mule drawn wagons that they take you around in and let the kids drive.


Most importantly, that wagon was great to sleep in. We fell asleep after playing horseshoes and stargazing.


We woke up to the sound of the rushing wind in the sown fields and a beautiful sunrise. I loved it.


What a wonderful time. I keep thinking of how clean the air was and the sky was so blue and everything was so green. You are right, the people were great with the kids.
ReplyDelete