Friday, July 24, 2009

the kids at the homestead

The kids had a great time at the Ingalls Homestead. They learned how to make corncob dolls, how to make rope, how to hand mill wheat, how to make braid rugs, how to sew using a period sewing machine, and how to care for animals.


Sunshine was mad for the animals. She was climbing into the stall with the cow when I caught her at one point. She crawled into beds with the new kittens, climbed the ladder to the barn attic to find more kittens, and rode the horses and ponies ad nauseum.


She was also in love with anything "Laura." Apparently, it's not over 100 degrees there in July like it is here. Nights dipped into the high 50's and it didnt warm into the 70's until late afternoon. So the cute prairie dresses that I envisioned her in weren't cutting it for early morning romps about the homestead. I laid jeans out for her to wear and she scoffed, "Laura did NOT wear jeans." Until I assured her that as along as she had her pinafore and bonnet on she would be okay, she was really upset. It was so cute.

She had been saving her allowance for months to be able to buy a big "Charlotte" doll when we got there, but once she realized it would take ALL of her money and some of mine to buy it, she reconsidered and bought a baby Charlotte instead. Then she proceeded to cart Charlotte around everywhere we went for the rest of the vacation. When Charlotte's litttle shoes kept falling off, the ladies at the homestead took her into their workshop and helped her glue gun them on to Charlotte's feet. Sunshine came back so pleased.


Buddy was obsessed, truly obsessed and fascinated, with washing clothes. They let him muss up cloths and wash them and hang them over and over and over again. When other kids came up to try it out, they would sweetly explain that it was someone else's turn and gently move him to the side. Then the moment that it was free again, they would bring him back over to start his little game again. And they would talk to him while they were working and teach him lessons about prairie life.




They never rushed him or shushed him or made fun of his comments. I felt at ease with him there and that's hard for me.


He also played a lot with the double rubberband shot GUN his father bought him.



I had grandeose plans for Pocket at the homestead. Mainly, I wanted to videotape her running down the hills and falling down like Carrie did on the tv show. =) Thankfully, Pocket conceded to my plans. I'm sure my dad would be pleased to have seen those scrapes. She also spent a lot of time climbing fences, splashing water, lasso-ing the fake cow, and shucking corn.


She was obsessed with taking the dried kernels off of the cob. I would put it in and she would crank that puppy until it came out clean.



Then she carried around her doll and kissed and kissed it.



We had an amazing time and can't wait to go back.

3 comments:

  1. hey my sister has hair...and pockets looks really really good..so does great grandma..her teeth are in..He truly smiles down on you..you and your family are greatly blessed and i know its because you withstood the trials of last year..the bigger the crisis the greater the victory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you're able to see the blog photos!!!!
    We are very blessed. Most people aren't so fortunate in those circumstances.
    Gramma kept talking about her plans for the next time you go visit. She's so excited to have people coming to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip looks amazing Sarah!...I LOVE Little House on the Prairie...read every book, watched every episode like three times each at least:) So cool to make a vacation around that theme:)

    While I'm commenting...In response to your comment on my blog...I want to know how the heck you pay $2 for diapers all year long! What's your secret? I hear of people saving all kinds of money, but haven't been able to see much of a savings doing coupons so far... Help!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.