Monday, February 1, 2010

too old for dolls?

Sunshine is a sweet little thing, really innocent and not too keen on the ways of the world. She still plays with dolls. Is she too old for dolls? I'm not sure and I don't really care. I'll take dolls over video games, certain television shows and crushes on teenage rock stars.

For her 7th birthday, we promised her an American Girl doll. She's been getting the catalogues for years and started reading the chapter books to herself this fall. We've been promising her a doll for her 7th birthday for a few years now, as I didn't think she was old enough to take care of something so expensive. But since my mom gave her Charlotte (named after Laura's doll), she doesn't want one right now. She's very happy with Charlotte and Mommy is happy to put off buying a doll that costs more than twice the water bill.

Sunshine still wanted to have a little "doll baby" party on her birthday. She also wanted us to serve waffles. *sigh* Sunshine is wacky. Here is our compromise:

a breakfast pajama party for five of her friends and their dolls


individual paper dolls for each of her guests, cut by Mommy and assembled by Sunshine


sleeping bag envelopes sewn by Gramma


There's lots more doll baby fun to come. Gramma and Mommy worked their little fingers off this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. and still no pictures of the children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! I especially love that she has a doll named Charlotte! I think Sunshine and I are kindred spirits. When I was a young girl, I once dressed like Laura for Halloween! No, kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so neat, Donna! She really, really loves Laura.

    Thanks, Katie! We had fun making them.

    Shuddup, Rebekah. Those are paper photos of the children. Just pretend.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.