Thursday, January 21, 2010

crafting for Haiti

I've been really, really upset about the problems in Haiti. Honestly upset. It has been one of those times when I wish for the freedom to run off and the talents to help save the world. I've felt kind of paralyzed, but knew that there had to be something I could do from home.

On Monday, the women at church came together to make blankets for the children of Haiti. When the service project was announced on Friday, I worried. I worried that I wouldn't be able to do enough to placate my guilt over my own easy living. I worried that the little time I would be able to donate wouldn't go far enough to help. I knew that I didnt have enough disposable money this week to go as far as I would like it to go towards supplies.

So, I prayed about it. I thought about my good friends who worried last week with me about these mothers and children so far away. I thought about the women who were organizing this service project. I thought about the women who were coming to craft for the precious babies in need. I thought about my talents, my bank account balance, my children, my prior commitments, and my time and wondered how I could participate in a way that would be the biggest sacrifice and make the biggest difference.

I felt inspired that the best thing for our family to give would be our time. I contacted the woman leading the service project and offered to run a childcare from 8 to noon. My kiddles and I thought up crafts, games, and activities we could do all morning. Dearest Don donated all of the craft and snack supplies from overtime pay he worked last week. Sunshine has friends with good, good women as their mothers. When I told them about the service project, they donated enough batting and fabric to make eight quilts, as well as yarn, thread, a SEWING MACHINE, and other supplies.


By noon yesterday, the women had made 50 quilts. My children were having so much fun with their "new friends" in the childcare, we decided to stick around and help out until closing time. By 6pm, they had finished over 90 quilts. Coming together as a family and as a community to help make this project more successful made me feel better. Even though we hadn't actually crafted anything myself, I knew that our family's donations had been a valuable part of the project. It assuaged my anxiety and soothed my own children's worries about the children far away in Haiti. I tend to think too big. It's not always necessary to be that way. I learned that yesterday.

I really hope to raise thoughtful children, with a sense of human compassion. I hope that one of the things they remember about me is that I do try to think of others. I hope they use their talents and blessings to do good things in their families and in the world. When Buddy offered a prayer at the service project and asked for "a miracle of blankets to help the children in Haiti," I knew that our day had been successful.

For a way that you can help Doctors without Borders help the people of Haiti, consider purchasing a handmade craft from here.

3 comments:

  1. Once again, my hero Mommy! I'm so proud of you for going to the service project. I wish I could have made it. What I wouldn't give to be there helping those poor souls struggling to live. We are lucky here ... on a daily basis ... compared to most of the rest of the world. The pictures from Haiti are humbling. So glad you could make it. And I know the other mothers there wouldn't have been able to get all those quilts done without your willingness to serve too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never sease to amaze me!!! What an awesome and inspiring project!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.