
Sunshine was named Star Student of the Week at her school. Gramma, Papa, Dad, Mom, brother and sister came to share in her achievement. When the principal announced her name, her mouth opened soooo wide and she had the hugest look of surprise on her face. All of the teachers started laughing and she just froze. They kept saying, "Get up here, S_. You're the star!! Come on!!" And finally she walked up, but remained in a daze the rest of the assembly. Her CAMP teachers walked over to me and each said something like, "That's why we love S_. She's genuinely happy and doesn't act like she's entitled to things." Isn't that nice?
And while I hate, hate, hate things like this because I do NOT think a child should feel like a loser at this age, I'm glad that Sunshine felt like a winner. I just wish that they could all feel that way. When I was talking to her class afterwards, little Harrison said, "Wow. S_ is a star student. That must be really nice." I almost cried. Instead I hugged him and said, "Well, golly Harrison, you're always a star to me!" He hugged me back and smiled.
I really hate stuff like this. Why do we push our adult need to be the best on children?

with her teacher

her music teacher laughing at her after she finally walked up to get her award


Congrats, Sunshine! We all love you, so.
No comments:
Post a Comment
thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.