I planned more for the Valentine's Day party than the other six 1st Grade classes did and I got in a tad bit of trouble. We're all supposed to do exactly the same thing, but I thought the plan was boring, so I added more. One of the parents in my class told another parent in another class, who told the PTA president, who told the Room Parent Coordinator, who had to call me. I got in trouble.
The local Girl Scout Service Unit is doing a flamingo flocking fundraiser. We ordered a flock of birds to nest at our house for Sunshine's birthday last week. They were supposed to be picked up after three days, but they stayed four days and I got in trouble. The HOA's management company called me today to tell me that they received several emails and phone calls over the weekend about the offensive birds.


It's struck me that we live in a very litigious society. I blame reality tv shows. We search for and inevitably find faults in people, as we all make mistakes quite often. Then we blast these losers who makes mistakes on television shows and blogs for the purpose of "getting the truth out there." We sue good samaritans for giving us CPR if they accidentally break a rib while saving our lives. We refuse the charitable donations that the little Girl Scouts at our schools are offering because we don't want to "offend anyone with charity." We tell on room parents who do too much because it makes us look bad when we don't do as much.
It made me a little sad.
But the flamingos made my kids realllllllllllly happy, so I guess that makes up for the HOA violation. C'est la vie.
Here are some photos of the lego creations that The Little Master allowed Don to help him create this weekend. They're fun, no?


LOVE the flamingos. Seriously! Love them. Yes, I too would wonder if I looked out my window ... wondering when the gorgeous flock was going away ... or if it was some cruel April Fools joke come early and in mass quantities on my neighbor's lawn. I guess if people didn't know you, they may have really assumed you were going to keep them there! SO FUNNY! You should've kept one there ... just to spite the complainers!
ReplyDeleteAnd way to go on the V-day party. No doubt it was all perfect! No apologies... you go for it! :)
Ok, I need to check out these Lego creations. Did you say it was on familyfun.com? My boys LOVE legos but I can't keep buying the new kits.
ReplyDeleteLove the flamingos!
Ah... stories like these make me very grateful that we don't have an HOA in our neighborhood - although their are also times when it might be nice.
ReplyDeleteYep, Tori. Family Fun magazine's website lists new designs each month. Don found these on the Lego website, though. I thought a long time about getting the kits, but then settled on this open play set. Don and the kids are really enjoying it, but TLM really does want some of the new Toy Story kits. They do look like fun!
ReplyDeleteMichelle - I'm sure there are benefits, but it seems to me that it's all nitpicking. It was obviously a joke, as there was a sign that said it was. The HOA said that the flamingos could stay, but it was the sign that said it was a joke that was against the rules. Blah, blah, blah. It's not like I live in a swanky neighborhood.
We got "flocked" earlier this year. The HS majorettes did it for a fund raiser. My kids loved it. Sure miss talking to you about life. I was just thinking earlier this week about calling you.
ReplyDeleteShe looks so cute out in the dark surrounded by flamingos. Maybe she's asking them how they got there in the dead of winter but she's certainly glad they are there.
ReplyDelete