Thursday, May 6, 2010

teacher appreciation

This week, the Powers That Be dictated that we celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week, which is also known at our home as Kiss Up Now and You'll Be Grateful Later Week.

On Monday, a teacher in-service day, Sunshine made hearts to "heart attack" her teacher's car. HA! I love heart attacks. It brings back good memories of toilet papering people's houses as a teenager. And because we all love Donny so, we heart attacked our front door with messages for him to see when he got home from work.


On Tuesday, we got to school early to heart attack Mrs. M's car. We weren't really sneaky about it, since she parks outside of her classroom window, but I know our clandestine adventure gave her a giggle from her desk. I forgot my camera at home and had to take a photo with my phone. It's now being held hostage by the phone. But trust me, it was cute.

We also made these cute paint cans for the office staff and nurse. We filled them with candy, pretzels, and bottled water. I cut up paper for the kids in Sunshine's class to write thank you notes to them on and then put in the cans.




On Wednesday, Sunshine took in these cute little pots she made from old dog food cans, scrapbook paper, modge podge, and popsicle sticks. She made one for each of her ancillary teachers, librarians, and Mrs. M. Inside, we added a gift card for a local nursery. I like to pretend that in my mind that $5 isn't too chintzy of a gift.



On Thursday, Sunshine took in these A&W rootbeer bottles with a tag that says, "My teacher is AWesome." Get it? AW- AWesome. Ya, I stole that idea from someone on the world wide web. She has one for each ancillary teacher, Mrs M and the administration.


On Friday, she will present the adults who love her with the pièce de résistance - homemade blackberry bbq sauce that I slaved over and canned for them. My first solo canning experiment. Bully for me. Bully for them. This stuff is AMAZING on pork.


This week could also be known in our house as Eat Out of Your Pantry Food Storage for a Week Because Momma Spent All Our Grocery Budget at Hobby Lobby Week. LOL, I jest. I save up ideas and clearanced packaging allllllllll year long waiting to blast the school with goodness for a whole week. I actually haven't Hobby Lobby-ed in a few weeks. Pretty good for me. We've spent the past two weeks shopping in our craft closet, smashing blackberries through cheesecloth, modge podging dog food cans and cutting tags. It all turned out pretty "crafty-homemade", which I know some of you frown on, but I think it's completely appropriate for gifts from a child.

3 comments:

  1. I am totally stealing all of these ideas! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also need the recipe for the sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just add blackberry jam to whatever BBQ sauce recipe you like. I didn't care for the recipe I found. Thank goodness I tried it before I added the jam. So I had to try a different one.

    It's sooooo easy, but so fun, right? It would be a great Father's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.