- Catherine Parry
I read this passage on a blog recently. It was written by the mother of a child with autism, but I felt like it could apply to all mothers, especially me. I printed it out and kept it where I could read it several times a day. My parental ego is constantly humbled, whether by bad experiences that leave me crushed or by hearing comments about my children or parenting skills that hurt my heart.
But it's not really about me, is it?

I worry about The Little Master. I don't understand the way his mind operates or how his little heart works. I often tread on them unknowingly. Because I worry that people who don't love-him-up-and-down also injure him, I feel intense anxiety every time I pass him off to others, at school or church or play. Thankfully, he is being raised by angel teachers again this year at school and that is such a comfort to me. Unfortunately, though his teachers at church try hard, it doesn't quite work out for TLM there. My little man and I spend a lot of Primary and Sunday School time together, as he clings to me intensely in the hallway or helps me with the littles in Nursery...and his class continues on without him. That makes me sad for him.
Over the past few months, I have looked all about for a solution to our issues and couldn't find one that felt right. Don and I have spent a lot of time thinking really hard, praying really hard, and listening really hard for some answers to help our little man. We finally found the answer and it was already waiting for us here at home. Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best solution and it's one that was quietly whispering to you all along.
"and behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind the earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."
1 Kings 19:11-12
I'm grateful for a strong testimony that God loves me. I have been extremely blessed in my life, in that from the earliest time I can remember, I've felt God's presence daily. I have always been sure of what He was saying to me, though I haven't always headed those promptings. I have always, always known that He loves me an awful lot. I have always known that He is mindful and aware of every detail of my life. I have always known that He looks after me when I ask Him to and encircles me "in the arms of His love."
It's now time for me to really know that God feels the same way about TLM. It's now time for me to realize that I am the one who has been prepared, molded, shaped and fashioned into the person who is supposed to raise TLM, advocate for him, and gently prepare him for his place here on earth.
This knowledge has brought me great power. I feel very strongly that I do know how to help Buddy right now. New situations will arise and new solutions will need to be found. But I know that right now, I have been given the answer for right now. That brings me peace, which will help bring peace to my little man who I love oh so much.
Our discussion in RS was "May Your Burdens Be Light" from Elder Clayton. It's a marvelous blessing when the Lord leads us through and an answer comes. Elder Clayton said that through our burdens we develop the virtues we need to live with God again.
ReplyDeleteLet the record show that I have always loved him just the way he was.
ReplyDelete*snif*
ReplyDeleteOh Supermom. Thank you for being so candid and open and sincere and brave. Being a mom is not easy. Especially when we struggle with how to help our wee ones, how to understand our wee ones, how to cope and be there for them when we just may not even know how. Clearly the Lord is speaking to you. Doors will open, prayers will be answered, and in due time, you'll realize that through all the thick and thin of this trial, that you really were Supermom through it all and did what the Lord wanted you to do for the sake of this chosen spirit he has entrusted you with. We may doubt that in the moment, but I know you're an amazing mom and woman, and you will perservere. For the record, we love TLM :). So sorry to hear life is more than frustrating and hard at the moment. As my mom always said growing up, and still does, "This too, shall pass."
ReplyDelete