I just couldnt do one more responsible thing...well, I couldnt do one more responsible thing for someone outside of my family. I just couldnt care about any of it any more. Not in a "I'm having a nervous breakdown" way, just in a "it can all fall apart for one day and I'll just work on it later" way. (The nervous breakdowns were in October and January. I have another one scheduled for late April or early May, probably May.)
I took on way too many responsibilities this school year that take way too much time away from my home and kids. I think I was reacting from not being able to do ANYTHING last year because of Molly's health and I just really wanted to be responsible for something outside of my home again. I just needed projects and unfortunately, I looked too hard and found too many options. I usually have jobs at church that require a lot of time and preparation, but not since we've moved to this area. Here, I get the "fake jobs." You know what I mean - the jobs they make up for people who they don't know what to do with or don't trust or have sickly kids who make them unreliable =) That's the kind of thing that I do here. So that doesnt take much time and I felt the need to be busy this year.
Unfortunately, I chose a few too many things and I've had a few overloaded moments. But I've learned what my limits are and I've gotten kinda (?) good at telling adults what to do, delegating, and a bunch of other things that I swore I would never be good at, like soliciting donations from businesses for fundraising. Ya, I know! So I've learned a lot and that's great. But mostly, I've learned that I like my family, my home, my time with them and it's not something that I'll give up willingly again.
So I got lost in a neighboring city looking for a Dollar Store that was supposed to have something I needed for a Girl Scout service project that night. Totally valid service project benefiting patients at the hospital Pocket was at last year. I felt really strongly about participating and Sunshine was looking forward to it. But I didnt HAVE to get this specific item at this specific store. It would have been just what I thought I wanted though, and cheap, and I convinced myself that I needed to do it. So I drove around for about 15 minutes with my two youngest looking for this place before I saw signs that said, "Historical Marker" and "Park Ahead" and "Museum Parking." I thought, "Hmm, that would be nice to investigate one day. I should do that sometime. I never take the littles to fun places anymore because I'm always at meetings and running errands." Then I thought, "Why don't I go now? Do I really need that Dollar Store or can I just spend a bit more and go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and get something comparable?"
Random responsibility or good times with my kids?
The historical marker that happened to be JUST what The Little Master loves won.
The park with squirrels, a fountain, and two new playgrounds won.
The museum that was happening to have storytime right when we showed up won.
My family won.



It's the little voice whispering, "Follow that sign, stop here, stop now, pull over". Aren't you glad you listened. Look at those faces! And the best part is they know you did it just for them, but now you know you did it for you too.
ReplyDeleteshe looks just like me in that top photo! and it looks as if she's swinging at the little library!
ReplyDeleteThat building in the background is a fancy new building with clean, lovely bathrooms. It's my new favorite place! We're meeting Don there after work this week to play and eat at a fab ribs place nearby. Love it!
ReplyDelete