
We were out delivering Girl Scout cookies and it was taking waaaaaaaaaay longer than I thought it would. I accidentally chatted with a few of Sunshine's customers about 45 minutes too long....at several houses. Of course, the kids were tired, hungry, cranky. It was my fault and I felt bad. So I tore open a box and gave them all a Thin Mint (or three) so that they would stop complaining and we could finish our deliveries.
Then I just HAD to go to WalMart to return a RedBox DVD on time. And on the way there, Don called to say that he wasnt coming home until late (that's code for 10pm or later), so I decided to buy the kids McDonalds for dinner while we were at WalMart. I made the rookie mom mistake of telling the kids my plans before I unloaded them. Then I saw Pocket's face. And then I saw Pocket's tights.

So I weighed in my mind my choices. I could take her in filthy and get dirty looks from people for having a spunky looking kid. Or I could take off her tights and get dirty looks from people for having a baby out in the cold without socks or tights. Or I could bail on the McDonalds idea and have three irate children that I would have to live with. I decided to go for dirty. So we marched into WalMart, returned our DVD, picked up some McDonalds and I fed my baby a dinner of deep fried french fries and juice.
My confession is more of an apology to all of the you moms that I've "tsk tsked" in my head (and sometimes out loud to my mom or Don) for taking your kids out looking like homeless folk. My bad!
i'd rather see a tight-less kid than a dirty one.
ReplyDeleteRag-a-muffin is the correct term!
ReplyDeletePS....This is the term always used by Papa George and the old women and your mother and I adapted it! It's what we tell Natty every day....you can't go to school lookin' like a Rag-a-muffin!
ReplyDeleteHA! We've been there. When I've realized halfway through a shopping trip that my kids have their snack all over their faces, their clothes, the floor...and I've turned into one of "those" moms I swore I would never become because I would never let it. HA! I've become one of "those". I think we all do at some point....atleast I hope. That's what I keep telling myself so I don't feel bad :).
ReplyDeleteRebekah - I had a choice about who I would make mad. The grammas or the young moms. Grammas dont like to see anyone NOT in jackets, hats, gloves, etc if it's under 80 degrees. Young moms dont like to see messy kids because it means that you didnt work as hard as they did that day.
ReplyDeleteI didnt want to make the Grammas mad, so I angered the young moms instead.
Aunti - That's what we call little kids who dont have their hair done!
Amy - I swear that I've done everything that I said I would never do. Everything. It's so funny!
You think grammas are fussy? You better never ever let Papa know that anyone stepped out the door without shoes and socks on, no matter what the weather. And I do not apologize for any of it.
ReplyDelete