
Every other week, we meet with our home school group for Jr. Engineers and tailor our at-home instruction after that theme. The gal in charge is sooooooo amazing. She sets up the theme, organizing the activities, collects supplies, and leads a lesson for children ages 0-10. That's really hard. All we have to do is show up with a few supplies and it's free! I'm way on the winning side of that equation.
A few months ago, we studied various types of propulsion. Check out this winner photo of Sunshine. Hilarious.

And Buddy running up the hill to propel his rubberband airplane.

Last month, we studied hot air balloons, because there was a balloon festival in town. The kids had a great time learning about buoyancy. They had to make a basket, attach it to a helium balloon, and get it to float in the air.

That took a lot of cutting down on the basket size, but it eventually worked. They were really excited. No hands!

Looking at these photos, it seems like we do a lot with balloons. I realized it's because the other experiments usually involve something dangerous or fragile, and I have to put down my camera and protect Polly from destroying it/maiming herself.
Last week in honor of Halloween, we studied mysterious science at home, starting with a unit on finger prints. Don took care of that messy activity.


I took care of leaving finger print clues for them to find on glass windows and doors around the house. That was fun...until I had to clean all of that glass.
Hooray for you for finally giving in to that inner teacher and homeschooling - I guess I didn't realize how fortunate we are to have teachers that do all the hands on science and math.
ReplyDeletethe children now officially know more math and science than i do.
ReplyDelete