
When Sunshine was in Kindergarten, it seemed like every girl in her grade had pierced ears. She felt left out and really wanted them. I really don't like the idea of pierced ears on my children. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but it's just not something I want on my children. My mother always told me, "If you do that when you're __, what are you going to do when you're __?" It's just the idea of spreading things out. I don't think a five year old needs all of the accoutrements of a 12 year old, and a 12 year old doesn't need to look like a 21 year old. Be your age and be happy with it. That time will never come back. Plus, we wanted her to wait long enough to be able to take care of them herself and not doing anything stupid with them. We thought about letting her wait until she was eight, but didn't want to confuse getting her ears pierced with other religious rites of passage that happen at that age.
We compromised and told her that she could get her ears pierced on the 2nd day of 2nd grade. That seemed really old to me when she was 5. Unfortunately for Don and I, she remembered that promise and held us to it. Though I still think she's too young to have metal pierced into her body for decorative purposes, I really didn't want to go back on our word and she really is responsible enough to deal with it. I'm just not a fan and tried to talk her out of it all week. We told her about the loud sound, the pain, the possible infections and nothing would deter her.
Documented below is a photo essay of sorts. For those of you who don't know, Sunshine had hyperhydrosis, which means her palms and feet start to drip excessively when she's nervous.







There are no photos of the actual act of piercing, because she started to scream hysterically before the girl could start, so I had to hold her down. LOL Listen, if you make me go INTO A MALL to get your ears pierced, then you are getting your ears pierced. Plus, there was no way I was paying a $30 deductible on top of the price of the earrings to get this done at the pediatrician's office when she changed her mind in a few days.
When we left Claire's, there was an airbrush tattoo booth set up outside. We thought it would be funny to bring her home tattooed and pierced, but then thought that Don really, really wouldn't have liked that!!! He's so boring and conservative sometimes. LOL
No Fair! I had to wait until I was 10! I thought about doing the tattoo thing when I was in college, but luckily BYU wasn't really supportive of that idea.
ReplyDeleteI think I was in junior high when I had my ears pierced!
ReplyDeleteKids these days!
Oh my goodness. She can never see Hannah again because Hannah asks constantly when it's her turn! If supermom let her daughter get her ears pierced, than there's no luck for me! She looks so cute though! Congrats to Sunshine. You can tell she is just beaming!
ReplyDeletenew post please.
ReplyDelete