But we did stay home and ended up making FABULOUS dioramas. Buddy was dead set on doing a diorama with a howler monkey and a snake. So we settled on him making a jungle/rainforest one. Sunshine is studying butterflies at school, real live ones, and wanted to make a butterfly one. She did research about which ones she wanted to study, found a fact about each one, and chose a way to represent that fact in the diorama. They each made a list of the supplies they would need, went shopping in our craft closet, and then took the remainder of their list to Hobby Lobby. The people at Hobby Lobby thought that two little people with lists was hilarious.
Buddy rolled those snakes from clay and painted them orange, because he thought Grampa P would like that. I have to say that my favorite part of his was the alligator. It turned out really nice. He worked really hard on tracing those animals onto the shrinky dink paper. I had no idea how hard it is to use shrinky dinks. My gosh. It took forever!




Sunshine's creation turned out really cute, but I was really impressed by her research skills. This is the second year that she's had to do a research project at school and she's really gotten good at it. I didn't know that farmers used butterflies as natural weed control. Learn something every day!





That night while on the phone with my mom, Sunshine said, "We homeschooled today, Gramma. It was so much fun!" I tried to explain that every day of homeschooling isn't just making crafts, but she didn't care.
And yes, Rebekah. This was harder than I imagined with Pocket around. I couldn't just put out all of the supplies and move from section to section. We had to do each part separately and couldn't multi-taks. Also, we did all painting while she was napping, so it ended up taking three days!
That's a lot of work and a job well done!
ReplyDeleteSarah...you should totally homeschool...you'd be so good at it
ReplyDelete