Friday, September 6, 2013

all about our boy



Buddy's teacher asked all of the parents to write a letter introducing their children.  It was due today and I put it off all week long.  It's silly, but I kept thinking that the later I waited, the better I would get to know him.  




Also...

I didn't know how to say all of the great things about him in a believable manner.  He is outstanding, but how could I highlight his strengths in a way that the teacher would really, really understand how lucky she is to have him in her class?

I didn't know how to explain his struggles, without making him sound crazy-train.  (He is kinda crazy-train, but in the sweetest way.) I wanted to tell her things that he needed help with, without making her overly concerned.

I didn't want us to sound bad as parents or as home school teachers.  

I didn't know how to explain his special needs without making her upset/concerned/annoyed that we sent her a special needs child.  I didn't want her to think he would be a burden, when really he's such a lovely burden. 

I didn't know how to make our letter stand out among the other 17 letters she'll receive, but I didn't want it to be super obvious or I would look like a crazy-train obsessed mom. (I am kinda crazy-train obsessed with Buddy, because he's FABULOUS!)




So, we told her funny stories about him, the things that people always compliment him on, about the recent birthday party theme he designed, his unique nicknames given by Aunti Bekah, some of his talents, and a few of his obsessions.  We told her about his sensitive nature and what that means - the good and bad.  We told her about his recent losses and things she can say to help him hold his peace.  Finally, we told her the good things we had seen in her already and the positive things Buddy has said about her that made us feel safe leaving our little guy with her all day. 




We did not tell her explicitly about his temper.  

We didn't tell her that he is most likely ADHD, but we home schooled him for three years instead of giving in to that label.  

We didn't tell her that I thought he was autistic for a long time, but stopped thinking that after he adjusted to different settings so well for a few years.  Or that I think he is, again.




In the end, we composed a letter that was three pages long.  
Wait, wait!  I know!  
But...I formatted it in table form, so it was visually more appealing and that ending up taking more space. 
And...I wanted the font to be clear and unique for each section, so that made it longer.  
And...I talk too much, so that made it longer.  :)




I hope she treasures him.  

He deserves that.










1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures. He is so cute. I think he is fabulous too and hope his teacher has the time to get to know all of her students this year.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for leaving a comment.
I do love the attention.